Memorial Day Safety
Memorial Day Travel Safety
Many Americans are planning to travel during the upcoming holiday weekend. Even if you have received your full vaccination for COVID-19, please continue to follow the recommendations of our state and city/county, when it comes to non-essential travel, when you are determining your plans for Memorial Day weekend.
The following are good general reminders for your travels:
- Buckle your safety belt - it's the best way to stay safe in a vehicle and remember, the national Click It or Ticket program is in full swing over the holiday weekend
- Don't drink and drive - even one alcoholic drink can reduce your abilities and impair your judgment
- Put down the cell phone - about 8 people are killed every day in crashes involving distracted drivers* - don't text and drive! In many states, using your cell phone while driving is against the law.
- Be prepared - take a map, atlas, or GPS device; make sure your spare tire is inflated and you know how to change it; have your car serviced before heading out; include an emergency kit with water and snacks in case you're stranded for more than a few hours; refuel BEFORE your gas warning indicator displays
- Turn down the music - hearing sirens and emergency vehicles is an important warning to slow down and drive cautiously - you may be approaching an accident scene
- Keep your eyes on the road and hands on the wheel - eating and digging for things in the floorboard or back seat can lead to trouble
- Be courteous - because of the volume of vehicles on the road, you're bound to run into a few traffic jams, be cut off, or be forced to stop short - remain calm and courteous - don't let other drivers ruin your holiday
- Get plenty of rest - make sure you're well rested before getting behind the wheel, rotate driving duties with others in the car to avoid becoming too sleepy or distracted
- Take frequent breaks - stop, get out of the vehicle, and stretch your legs often - keeping in mind social distancing rules and regulations
Travel safely and enjoy your Memorial Day weekend!